Thursday, July 24, 2008

One Month Deep

So I've been here in New Zealand for a month now, and absolutely nothing has turned out the way I imagined. Such is the condition of my life: one random event after another in no way meeting the criteria I'd previously established for it. Rather, it's all one mega surprise after mega surprise, and I'm not sure which I'd prefer in the end. My fevered dreams of a foreign land crammed with hundreds of really close friends, insane parties/events every night, and a life-changing message that weaves its way subtly through the proceedings has instead been replaced by a few dozen acquaintances, crazy parties/events once or twice a week, and a mental process that hasn't so much witnessed epiphany as it has begun to eat itself. Bluntly stated, I feel a little different in the head, and I have no idea what three more months of this (literal) madness is going to do to me. 

That's not to say I'm not having fun, though. Rather, I've settled into my NZ life of school and homework contentedly, and everyday I seem to have no problem with whatever crummy book or drab paper I have to digest/churn out for the professors. It's a good life, the one of an apathetic student. Last night some acquaintances and I ate dinner at a reasonably priced sushi restaurant and then watched The Dark Knight in a packed theater full of cheering students. It kicked ass, and (cliche as it is by this point) I must admit Heath Ledger dominated the screen. His performance is captivating, and every time he appeared all I could do was stare in delight. Anyway, I digress...

Next weekend I'm taking a small trip to Queenstown for skiing and clubbing (wohoo?), which means this weekend I have to work my way through three full novels and two minor paper for film studies. Naturally, I figured the best way to begin what's sure to be an epic, three-day bout of procrastination was to update my blog. 

A quick note about the students of NZ: they are all entirely the same. What at first appeared to be a mess of shocking hairstyles, ludicrous footwear, and tight pants has slowly revealed itself as a mess of mass-produced hairstyles, ludicrous pointy black boots, and tight pants... on everyone. Hope that made sense. I think the most unique thing about me right now are my adidas, which don't protrude past my big toe for six inches to culminate in an epically pointy leather nubbin. Oh well...

Hope everything's going well with all you people. I still miss the burritos and salsa. 

1 comment:

Jeff said...

About time for another update! Sounds like life is good though. And yeah. Heath Ledger is epic in Dark Knight.