Tuesday, August 12, 2008

In Dunedin, No One Can Eat Cornbread

***Major awesome points if you can tell me what movie's tagline I ripped off for that title. The answer will be revealed next post.***

Well, "not much" is still going on. Toby and I went shopping for the flat Monday, and we pushed $200 dollars worth of groceries back from the downtown Countdown in a jallopy old shopping cart that we didn't so much steal as borrow. I experienced another low on the "U" of being an exchange student (introduced during orientation an eon ago) when I discovered that supermarkets here don't have cornbread mix. That, combined with the foreign-accented voice announcing this week's sales, Beyonce (or something equally American and shudder-inducing) playing ominously in the background, ignorant NZ shoppers with their karts parked horizontally all over the place, and way too many types of goddam satay sauce (with no A-1 in sight, mind you), gave me the cold sweats for a few seconds and made me wish like nothing else that I was back in Oregon. Most of the apprehension's passed by now, but I keep my passport on me at all times in case a quick bolt is necessary.

Speaking of, I've had a few dreams over the past month in which I return to Bend for a weekend (or some other time span equally ridiculous). The whole scenario is incredibly surreal. I arrive home, and people say things like, "How's New Zealand going?" to which I respond, "Oh, it's fine. I'm just home for the weekend, you know..." Very strange. What's worse is that 9 times out of 10 (more like 4 out of 5, because that's how many times I've had the dream) my plane crashes on the way back to New Zealand in some remote, snowy region of Russia (don't ask). I then have to fend off an utterly terrifying, alien-like entity that slowly possesses all the other survivors. I'm being completely serious, so I hope no one's laughing.

Today was rainy and windy again. I woke up early to buzz my hair down to half an inch, noticing with delight how strong and competent my American-made shaver was buzzing in my hand. Halfway through the haircut, though, it blew up - smoke included - so I had to wear a hat for the rest of the day to keep prying, judgmental eyes away from the disaster. I guess the power adapter just didn't cut it this time. No worries, though, as I bought a new shaver at K-Mart and now I'm presentable. Also, I stopped by Subway on the way back from my grooming-related shopping trip and treated myself to a FOOTLONG BMT!!! I love Subway in foreign countries, it's such a gluttonous haven of safety. Not only are all the ingredients always the same, but you can even buy a fountain drink with FREE refills (something unheard of here) and there's an ICE MACHINE to put cubes in the soda (even more unheard of)!!!

Plans were randomly just made for me and like 12 other people to head out to Mt. Cook this weekend for a two-day adventure. It should be fun, and on the way I get to see the Plains of Rohan!!! Kickass. That's about it for now. I haven't said it for a while, but if anyone wants to visit, the weather should be getting nicer in a few weeks...

1 comment:

Jeff said...

So it reminds me of "In space, no one can hear you scream." from Alien. Am I right? Is it a reference to your dream about the alien thing in the snow covered place where your plane crashes? Anyway....
And mad props for being a part of the BMT fan club. I literally can't remember a time I've ever been to Subway and gotten anything different for as long as I've been alive and capable of eating 12 inches of deliecious sandwich. Nice choice on the hair style too, although I must say I prefer 1/4 inch.
Finally, sounds like a fun trip to Mt. Cook. Take lots of pictures of the plains and all the other spectacular scenery I'm sure you'll witness, and I'll trade you pictures of Alycia for those pictures. I'm still jealous of what you get to see.